Monday, April 20, 2009

Locarno, Switzerland: The Hike

We spent part of Sunday morning trying to figure out how to spend our time.  We wanted to visit a nearby island, but, due to the multiple stops, the boat would take two hours to get there.  We decided to stay on the mainland, but were still slightly lost about what to do.  I felt a compulsive need to climb, but my travel buddy did not.  So we decided to split up, which is rather rare for us.  I decided to climb to this church while she spent time near the lake.  Here are the photos of my gradual progress up the hill.  


    
 

After some pain, a little internal motivation, and a few photo stops I made it to the top.  Much to my surprise there was actually a service going on in the church.  I should have considered this, since it was Easter Sunday.  However, I had just figured that the church was no longer in use.  I did peek inside, and spent a little bit of time in the back of the service.  I couldn't stay long though, because, unlike everyone else who took the tram up, I was overheating and visibly red.  After some photos at the top, I made my way back down, which was almost as equally painful due to the awkward stairs.  I am very glad I did it, even just for the view.  The overall trip took about 90 minutes.


  
   
   
   
 

1 comment: